Feature: Barn Magazine
Here at HbD, we love hockey and we love design. So, when we heard about a new hockey mag that is dedicated to providing unique and thoughtful hockey analysis and stories, as well as being very design-focused, we can’t help but support it.
It’s called Barn Magazine, and they need your support. There’s only a few days left to support their Kickstarter to get the magazine off the ground, and it’s something that deserves your support.
Full disclosure: I have worked on the magazine, doing their layout design. But just like this website, it’s been a labour of love so far, and regardless of my involvement, I’d still be writing this post to support getting this magazine into full publication.
The best way to support Barn is to go to their Kickstarter page right now and sign up for a subscription to make sure you get a copy when it comes out – and there’s lots more incentives on their Kickstarter page.
Still need convincing? Here’s some pretty cool support they’ve gotten over their campaign so far from some major players in the hockey publishing business:
- • Barn Magazine unveiled their cover story at The Hockey Writers – http://bit.ly/BarnCover (if you haven’t read this yet, you 100 percent should.)
- • They were called “A kickstarter worthy of your money because ESPN & Deadspin suck at covering puck.”
- • Sports Illustrated’s Richard Deitsch featured Barn Magazine is his Media Circus column (check note 5G) – http://on.si.com/2fbTKTi
- • Nieman Lab featured Barn Magazine on their What We’re Reading section
- • Last Monday night, Barn Magazine spoke at Gelf Magazine’s Varsity Letters reading series with three writers from Issue One. They previewed pieces of their stories covering goalie masks, the KHL’s imperialistic move into China and the theory of quantum uncertainty as it relates to the game. You can see it here. Deadspin and Yahoo’s Puck Daddy editor Greg Wyshynski both featured the event.
- • They were on the homepages of InsideHockey.com and Corsica.Hockey (http://corsica.hockey)
- • They joined The Natural Hat Trick podcast to discuss the magazine, Alex Ovechkin and why the Islanders are the most entertaining story in hockey right now.
- • The Hockey Maven, Stan Fischler, featured Barn Magazine in his famous The Fischler Report: https://twitter.com/BarnMagazine/status/794919687322828800
- • They did an interview with TSN’s BarDown for a story about the mag
- • Sportsnet’s Chris Johnston called Barn Magazine “promising!” https://twitter.
- • They were also called “exciting” “could be interesting!” “worth checking out” and “super unique!”
Again, Barn Magazine looks awesome (both aesthetically and content-wise) and they need your support to exist! I know I have (and will continue to do so as long as it’s around). At least, go check it out and see what it’s all about.